Sunday, May 22, 2011

Reaction to Venice Carnival

Thousands of tourists flock to Venice to see and take park in its magnificent carnival; I was fortunate to be one of those many tourists this past weekend. Words cannot explain how beautiful and alive the city was, but I will try. People walked around in elaborate, fancy dress and the scenery was so magical. The Venetian masks stared at you from every alleyway and the canals glistened in the sunlight. This festival really provided me with insight into another cultures traditions and cultural roots. Wearing masks has always been more than just simple fun for the Venetians. I learned in my Italian culture class, prior to leaving for my trip, that wearing a mask in Venice allowed you to take do things you would not be able to do otherwise. For example, one could gable without being caught and the poor could mask their poverty and blend in with the elite. The masks created unity in social class and it was a time for people to come together regardless of class and power. I also learned in my class that the masks date back to the sixteenth century and represent characters from the professional actors in Commedia dell’ Arte, which was a form of improvisational theater.
          
  I witnessed many masquerades and parades in St. Mark’s Square and watched children in costumes liter the streets and piazzas with confetti and silly string. As we made our way into St. Mark’s square I could not believe what I saw. The liveliness of the crowd, colorful scenery, and elaborate costumes put me in such good spirits. I felt proud to experience a part of the Venetian culture that is so special and significant to them. In St. Mark’s square we watched street-artists and were entertained by singers with music from their guitars. All of my friends and I did our best to blend in and participate in the Venetian culture by buying masks and getting our faces painted. I also was able to try black cuttlefish, which is a traditional Venetian dish consisting of pasta covered with black sauce from the ink sac of a cuttlefish. Although I was hesitant to try this at first I was so happy that I did because it was amazing!
           
Another concept that was so surreal to me was the fact that we were completely surrounded by water. Having always wanted to go on a gondola ride I made it a must-do while in Venice. Our gondolier gave us such a wonderful experience as he took us through the canals and pointed out sights along the way such as the Ponte di Rialto, which is the most popular bridge in Venice. After participating in Venice’s carnival I felt an enhanced feeling of belonging to the Italian culture, which I will remember and cherish for many years to come.





No comments:

Post a Comment