Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cultural Differences


As I wake up every morning I am constantly thinking abut the many differences between the host country that I am studying abroad in and myself. Accepting the differences, and becoming more culturally aware and acceptance seems to become more and more important to me each day.  I attempt to build competence of the culture at a fast rate in order to obtain the most out of my time here. There is an ongoing example that I am experiencing that relates to the phases of cultural awareness quite well.

My apartment just so happens to be strategically placed right above an amazing bakery in Trastevere. I have been a regular here getting my daily espresso and the occasion nutella biscotti since I first arrived back in January. The first time I ordered here I acted like a typical American, not trying to communicate in the language, and acting somewhat ignorant (now that I look back on it). However, as the weeks passed I knew that the generous family who runs the bakery could actually be a great deal of help to me, especially in regards to becoming more integrated into the Italian culture. In the first few weeks of my arrival I would have classified myself under the conscious incompetent stage. In actuality I was not competent; however, I did lack the necessary skills and knowledge about the host culture.
Our apartment!




Luckily though, my frustration transcended me into the next phase because my frustration was also accompanied with happiness. Whenever I was frustrated trying to communicate with the people at the bakery I thought about how far I have come from day one. This was a huge motivating factor for me to keep trying to become more culturally aware. With the help of my Italian class I have become gradually more confident with my newly acquired cross-culture skills and have actually practiced with the family that owns the bakery.  I now try to culturally shift my behavior so that it is appropriate for the right situations. They are also aware that I am trying to learn more Italian and they will correct me and help me when I use the wrong word or mispronounce something. I have also talked to them about Italian culture, such as their thoughts and opinions about their love for football and controversial issues in politics.

Although, I have built up my confidence and knowledge through my numerous interactions I would not consider myself part of the fourth stage known as unconscious competence. Even though I have strayed away from only thinking about the cultural differences that set me apart, I still experience stress when trying to communicate. When the owner Andrea notices me getting frustrated he does a good job of reassuring me that I am learning and that it the language comes with time and practice.

Furthermore, I think the term ethnorelativism relates perfectly to my relationship with the Italians in the family owned bakery. This term is used to characterize an individual who no longer uses their own culture as a center to which they judge others. Rather, they use their own culture as a state of mind in which cultures are respected, compared, and contrasted. I would definitely have to classify myself under this new term. I am constantly comparing and contrasting myself with the Italian workers downstairs, but in a respectful way and with much admiration to their culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment